Looking for the best male dog names? Then look no further! Welcome to our complete guide to naming a boy puppy or rescue dog.
One of the most fun ways to pass the time while you await the arrival of your new dog? Thinking about what to call him, of course!
Maybe you already know exactly what kind of names you like? Or perhaps you chop and change your mind on a daily basis?
Whichever camp you fall into, you’re bound to find some boy dog names to inspire you in these lists.
Best male dog names
Do you like to capture the zeitgeist, or do you prefer male puppy names which have stood the test of time?
best male dog names
These dog names for boys have consistently occupied the top male pet names lists for years:
Boy names for dogs
As you can see there’s a real trend towards giving our dogs human names.
It’s a logical progression from thinking of pets as part of the family. A way of saying that in our hearts, our dogs have the same status as people.
So here are some more names for boy dogs that are human names too:
Names for male dogs
Boy pet names are also a fun chance to use human names that are a bit more unusual.
These human names aren’t too common, but they’d all be good boy dog names:
Unique male dog names
Coming up with a one of a kind name for your dog can be a real challenge.
You never know when an obscure name is about to surge in popularity, or if someone else on your street is about to have the same flash of inspiration.
But it’s still fun to find something a bit special, like these unusual male dog names:
Names for male dogs
One way to to find cute boy puppy names is to pick a theme you like and see where it leads you.
I’ve come up with this list by thinking of American places and landmarks:
- Cimarron (This could be reckless, since cimarrón is Spanish for “wild” or “untamed”!)
- Zoar (Cartwright and Zoar are both small settlements in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)
Cute boy dog names
Will your dog be the baby of the family even when he’s fully grown?
Here are some cute boy dog names for puppies that are going to be adorable forever:
- Neo (Neo means both “new” in Greek and “gift” in Tswana – how perfect?)
Cool dog names male
Is your dog going to be a legend in his own time?
Obviously what’s cool is a matter of taste and perception, and I’m not saying that I’m an authority on what definitely is cool.
But I might be.
Cute dog names for boys
There seems to be a trend at the moment for naming animals after other animals. For example the A Cat Called Mouse story books, and Rhino the hamster in the Disney film Bolt.
Whether you rate it or hate it, here are some more suggestions that might work as names for male dogs:
- Buffalo (or just Buff!)
Good boy dog names
Do you have a hunch that your dog will be a loyal, reliable and upstanding member of the canine community?
Honor his noble side with one of these good male dog names:
Unusual male dog names
An unusual name will help your pup stand out in the park, and be a great ice-breaker when you’re doing that all-important socializing:
Strong male dog names
Dogs have amazing amounts of energy, stamina, and muscle.
These names either mean strong, or imply strength:
- Atlas (Atlas is the Greek god depicted carrying the world on his shoulders)
- Aaron (Hebrew name meaning “mountain of strength”)
- Magnar (Norwegian name meaning “strength”)
- Angus (Irish name meaning “unique strength”)
- Ryker (Danish name meaning “strength”)
- Obelix (Greek name meaning “pillar of strength”)
- Zeke (Hebrew name meaning “God strengthens”)
- Virtus (the Roman god of bravery and military strength)
Big dog names male
Was your pup the biggest in the litter?
Or are you renaming a rescue dog who’s already head and shoulders above his friends?
These names all call great size to mind:
- Groot (as well as a Marvel hero, groot is the Dutch word for “large” although the Dutch pronunciation is tricky! )
- Montaro (Japanese name meaning “big boy”)
- Orson (Latin name meaning “bear”)
- Berg (berg means “mountain” in several Germanic languages)
- Elbrus (Mount Elbrus is the tallest mountain in Russia and Europe)
Small dog names male
Are your puppy’s parents petite?
Maybe your dog is going to fall at the other end of the scale, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
These great boy dog names celebrate being a little more compact:
- Peagreen (from The Borrowers)
- Frodo (from The Lord of the Rings)
- Kerwin (Gaelic name meaning ‘little black one’)
Great dog names male
Some dogs are born great, and others have greatness thrust upon them.
Recognize their nobility with one of these strong male dog names:
- William (I can hardly paraphrase his words without including Shakespeare’s name!)
Famous dog names male
Some of our favorite famous dogs:
- Marley (From Marley and Me, Marley was a yellow Labrador Retriever)
- Brian (From Family Guy, Brian Griffin is a white Labrador Retriever)
- Vincent (the Labrador Retriever in the TV series Lost)
- Pal (Did you know that Lassie was almost invariably played by male dogs, because they were a better scale next to children? Pal was the first)
- Grey Wind
- Shaggydog (Ghost, Grey Wind and Shaggydog are direwolves in Game of Thrones)
- Zuma (A chocolate Labrador, and grossly underused member of kids’ favorite, PAW Patrol)
- Bolt (Of the eponymous Disney film)
Best male dog names
The best name for your dog is one you fall in love with, and don’t mind shouting out in public.
Wherever you get your inspiration from, finding the perfect name for your newest family member is a satisfying moment.
Happy name hunting!
GET FREE UPDATES!
News and updates delivered to your inbox
What are your top male dog names?
What is your boy dog called?
If you had to name a new dog tomorrow, what would you call him?
Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
Bringing Home A New Puppy?
Then you’ll love The Happy Puppy Handbook.